Online courses have become increasingly popular for entrepreneurs and educators to share their knowledge and generate income. With many platforms available, choosing the right one for your needs can be challenging.
One such decision entrepreneurs may face whether to use Teachable or Thinkific to host their courses. While Teachable has been a popular choice for some time, Thinkific is quickly becoming a more attractive option due to its user-friendly interface and robust features.
In this article, we will guide you through migrating your Teachable courses to Thinkific, so you can take advantage of all the benefits Thinkific has to offer. So, whether you’re looking to improve your user experience or reduce your course hosting expenses, read on to discover how to easily move to Thinkific.
Evaluating the Differences Between Teachable and Thinkific
When deciding to switch platforms, it’s important to consider the differences between the two options. While both Teachable and Thinkific offer similar features, each has its own advantages and disadvantages that could sway your decision.
Teachable vs. Thinkific: Pricing
First, let’s take a look at pricing. Teachable offers a free plan but has limited features and a 10% transaction fee. Paid plans range from $29 to $249 per month and include features such as custom domains, drip courses, and affiliate marketing. Thinkific, on the other hand, has a free plan with unlimited courses, but transaction fees are higher at 10%. Paid plans range from $49 to $499 per month and include features such as advanced customization options and full access to Thinkific’s API.
Teachable vs. Thinkific: Features
Regarding features, both platforms offer similar options, such as course creation tools, course completion certificates, and student management systems. However, there are some differences. Teachable has a built-in email marketing system, while Thinkific has a more robust quiz builder. Thinkific also offers a white-label option, which allows users to remove all Thinkific branding from their courses and website.
Teachable vs. Thinkific: Integrations
Finally, integrations can play a significant role in choosing a platform. Teachable integrates with popular marketing tools such as Mailchimp and ConvertKit and payment processors like PayPal and Stripe. Thinkific also integrates with these tools and offers integration with over 1,000 other apps through Zapier.
Both Teachable and Thinkific are excellent options for hosting your online courses. It’s important to consider your specific needs and goals when deciding. Thinkific’s pricing may be slightly higher, but its advanced customization options and white-label feature make it a great choice for those looking to create a more personalized user experience. Teachable’s built-in email marketing system may also be attractive for those looking for an all-in-one solution.
Exporting Course Content from Teachable
Before transferring your courses from Teachable to Thinkific, you must export your content from Teachable. Fortunately, the process is straightforward and can be done in just a few steps.
- Log in to your Teachable account and navigate to the course you want to export.
- Click the “Settings” tab and select “Export” from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the type of export you want to perform. Teachable offers three options: course content, course students, or course completion data.
- Select the course you want to export and click “Export.” The export process may take several minutes, depending on the size of your course.
- Once the export is complete, you will receive an email with a download link to your exported file.
Teachable allows you to export your course content in several file formats, including CSV, HTML, and SCORM. The CSV format is best if you plan to import your content into another platform, while the HTML format is ideal for creating an archive of your content. The SCORM format is suitable for e-learning courses compatible with learning management systems.
It’s worth noting that while Teachable’s export feature does include course content, such as text and multimedia, it does not include any student data or payment information. If you want to export student data, you’ll need to perform a separate export of your student list.
Importing Course Content to Thinkific
Once you’ve exported your course content from Teachable, you can import it into Thinkific. The process is straightforward and can be done in just a few steps.
- Log in to your Thinkific account and navigate the “Manage Learning Content” tab.
- Click on “Import” and select the type of content you want to import. Thinkific offers several options, including courses, users, and enrollments.
- Choose the file you exported from Teachable and upload it to Thinkific.
- Review the import summary to ensure all your content has been imported correctly.
It’s worth noting that while Thinkific supports importing content in several different file formats, the CSV format is the most commonly used for course content. If your Teachable course content is in a different format, you may need to convert it to CSV before importing it into Thinkific.
In addition to importing your course content, you may also need to format your content to fit the Thinkific platform. For example, Thinkific uses a different course structure than Teachable, so you may need to adjust your content accordingly. You may also need to resize images or reformat text to fit the Thinkific layout.
Overall, the process of importing course content to Thinkific is relatively straightforward. However, reviewing your content carefully after importing it is important to ensure that everything is formatted correctly and that your courses are running smoothly on the new platform.
Customizing Your Thinkific Courses
Now that you’ve imported your course content to Thinkific, it’s time to customize your courses to fit your brand and style. Thinkific offers a range of customization options that can help you create visually appealing and user-friendly courses.
- Start by selecting a theme for your courses. Thinkific offers a range of themes that you can customize to match your brand.
- Customize your course landing pages by adding images, videos, and text. Thinkific’s drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to create landing pages that are visually appealing and user-friendly.
- Use Thinkific’s built-in tools to add quizzes, surveys, and other interactive elements to your courses. These features can help keep your students engaged and motivated.
- Customize your course navigation by adding menus and submenus. This can help your students find the content they need quickly and easily.
- Use Thinkific’s integrations to add third-party tools and services to your courses. For example, you can integrate with Zapier to automate your workflow or add a payment gateway to accept payments from your students.
It’s important to keep your students’ experience in mind as you customize your courses. Ensure your courses are easy to navigate and visually appealing, and use interactive elements to keep your students engaged.
Communicating with Your Students
As you migrate your courses from Teachable to Thinkific, you must inform your students about the process. Thinkific offers several communication tools that can help you keep your students up to date.
You can use Thinkific’s announcement feature to send updates to your students. You can do this to notify your students about the migration process and any other changes or updates to your courses.
You can also take advantage of Thinkific’s email feature to send personalized messages to your students. You can use this feature to answer questions, provide support, or offer additional resources to your students.
Finally, use Thinkific’s discussion feature to create a forum for your students. You can use this feature to foster community and encourage student discussion.
When communicating with your students, being transparent and honest about the migration process is important. Let your students know what to expect, and provide clear instructions on accessing your courses on the new platform. Also, provide additional resources or support to help your students navigate the transition.
Overall, Thinkific’s communication tools help keep your students informed and engaged throughout the migration process. Use these tools to create a positive experience for your students and ensure a successful migration to the new platform.
Making a Move to Thinkific: Conclusion
Migrating your online courses from Teachable to Thinkific can be daunting, but it can also provide many benefits for your business. Here’s a summary of some of the benefits of switching to Thinkific:
- More customization options: Thinkific offers a range of customization options that can help you create courses tailored to your brand and style.
- Better pricing plans: Thinkific’s pricing plans are more affordable than Teachable’s, especially for businesses that are just starting.
- More integrations: Thinkific offers more integrations with third-party tools and services, which can help you automate your workflow and streamline your business processes.
- Better support: Thinkific offers better customer support than Teachable, with faster response times and more helpful resources.
Overall, moving to Thinkific can help you create more engaging and effective online courses while saving you money and time. While the migration process may take effort, the benefits can be worth it.
If you’re considering making the switch, carefully evaluate the differences between the two platforms and follow the step-by-step instructions in this article. With the right preparation and guidance, you can successfully migrate your courses to Thinkific and create high-quality online courses for your students.