Thinkific is an all-in-one platform that empowers entrepreneurs and educators to create, market, and sell online courses.
Its user-friendly interface and robust features make Thinkific easy for anyone to create and share knowledge with the world. However, sometimes users need to copy courses from one Thinkific site to another, whether it’s because they’re transferring ownership of the course, duplicating content for a new audience, or simply rebranding their business.
Whatever the reason, transferring courses between Thinkific accounts can seem like a daunting task. But fear not! In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to copy courses from one Thinkific site to another, so you can streamline your content creation process and maximize your impact.
Exporting Courses from the Source Site
Once you’ve decided to transfer your Thinkific course from one account to another, the first step is to export the course from the source site. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Log in to your Thinkific account and navigate to the Admin Dashboard.
- Click on the course you want to export from the course list.
- Once you’re in the course editor, click the “Settings” tab.
- Scroll to the “Export Course” section and click the “Export” button.
- Choose the format for your export file: choose between a Thinkific course backup file (.zip) or a CSV file.
- If you choose the Thinkific course backup file, your course will be saved as a single compressed file that includes all course content and student data. If you choose the CSV file, your course will be saved as a spreadsheet that includes course content but not student data.
- Once you’ve selected the format for your export file, click the “Export” button to start the export process.
- Depending on the size of your course, the export process may take a few minutes. You’ll receive an email notification once your export is complete.
It’s important to note that there are some limitations to the export process. For example, if your course includes video or audio files hosted on Thinkific, these files won’t be included in the export file. However, the export file will include links to the original files, so you can download them separately and include them in the import process.
Preparing Courses for Import
Once you’ve exported your Thinkific course from the source site, the next step is to prepare it for import into the target Thinkific site. Here are some guidelines for preparing your exported course for import:
- Ensure you’re importing the course into the correct site: double-check the URL and login credentials for the target Thinkific site.
- Verify that the target site has enough storage space to accommodate the imported course: check your storage capacity to ensure you won’t exceed your limits.
- Make any necessary updates or edits to the exported course: for example, you may want to change the course name, description, or pricing.
- Check the file format and structure required for course imports: Thinkific requires that you use a specific file format and structure when importing courses. Specifically, you must use a ZIP file containing a manifest file and a folder containing all course content.
File Format and Structure Required for Course Imports
Here’s an explanation of the file format and structure required for course imports:
- You must name the ZIP file after the course slug: for example, if your course slug is “my-awesome-course,” your ZIP file should be named “my-awesome-course.zip.”
- The manifest file must be named “course.json” and located at the ZIP file’s root level.
- You must locate the course content in a folder named “content,” which should also be located at the root level of the ZIP file.
- Each lesson within the course must have its subfolder within the “content” folder.
- The subfolder for each lesson must be named after the lesson slug: for example, if your lesson slug is “lesson-1,” the subfolder should be named “lesson-1.”
Importing Courses into the Target Site
Once you’ve exported your Thinkific course from the source site and prepared it for import into the target site, the next step is to import it into the target Thinkific site. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to import courses into the target site using Thinkific’s built-in import feature:
- Log in to your Thinkific account and navigate to the “Admin Dashboard” for the target site.
- Click on the “Import” tab in the top menu bar.
- Choose the “Course” option from the drop-down menu.
- Select the ZIP file that contains your exported course and click “Upload.”
- Review the course details on the “Course Information” page, and make any necessary changes or updates.
- Review the “Lesson Content” page to ensure all lesson content is imported correctly.
- Review the “Settings” page to ensure all settings have been imported correctly.
- Click “Import” to complete the course import process.
Different Import Options Available in Thinkific
- You can import courses, users, and orders using Thinkific’s built-in import feature.
- You can also use third-party tools like Zapier or Excel to import data into Thinkific.
- Thinkific provides detailed documentation and support for importing data, including step-by-step guides and troubleshooting tips.
Common Issues and Troubleshooting
While Thinkific’s course import feature is generally reliable and easy to use, a few common issues may arise during the course migration process. Here are some tips for troubleshooting these issues:
Course Content Not Importing Correctly
If you notice that some of your course content hasn’t been imported correctly, ensure you use the correct file format and structure for your imported course. Double-check that all of your lesson content and multimedia files have been included in the ZIP file you’re importing.
If some of your course settings haven’t been imported correctly, double-check that you’ve selected the correct import options when importing your course. Ensure you’re using the same course template and settings in the target site as in the source site.
Broken Links or Images
If you notice broken links or images in your imported course, double-check that your lesson content and multimedia files have been included in the ZIP file you’re importing. Check that all links and images are pointing to the correct URLs.
You may have duplicate courses if you accidentally import a course already in the target site. To avoid this, make sure that you’ve deleted any existing courses with the same name or ID in the target site before importing your course.
If you encounter any other issues during the course migration process, don’t hesitate to contact Thinkific’s support team for assistance. They can help you troubleshoot any issues and provide guidance on how to resolve them.
Following these tips and troubleshooting common issues ensures that your course migration process goes smoothly and your course is successfully transferred from the source Thinkific site to the target site.
Following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can easily transfer your Thinkific courses from one account to another. The process involves exporting your courses from the source site, preparing them for import into the target site, and importing them into the target site.
Double-check your course content and settings to ensure everything has been transferred correctly. And if you encounter any issues during the course migration process, don’t hesitate to contact Thinkific’s support team for assistance.
To ensure a successful course migration, here are a few final tips:
- Before starting the course migration process, ensure you have admin access to both the source and target Thinkific sites.
- Take the time to prepare your courses for import, following the file format and structure guidelines.
- Double-check your course settings and content after importing to ensure everything has been transferred correctly.
- Finally, don’t forget to delete any duplicate courses from the target site before importing your course.
With these tips, you can make the course migration process as smooth and easy as possible. Good luck with your course transfer!