Thinkific and Turnitin are just two powerful tools that you can use to provide a great learning experience. Thinkific is an online course platform that allows creators to create, market, sell, and deliver online courses. At the same time, Turnitin is a web-based plagiarism detection service that automatically checks the originality of written work.
Integrating Thinkific and Turnitin can greatly improve your course material’s quality and ensure academic integrity among your students. This article will discuss how to integrate your Thinkific account with Turnitin in various ways. We will walk you through the integration process and provide tips on utilizing these tools together.
By the end of this review, you will know how to use Thinkific and Turnitin together to create a better online learning experience. Before we get to the different ways of integrating, you need to understand what each tool is and what it does.
What is Thinkific? Online Course Platform
Thinkific is an all-in-one platform that allows individuals and businesses to create, market, sell, and deliver online courses. It provides various features such as course creation tools, student management, and analytics.
It is a user-friendly platform that allows anyone to create and sell courses, regardless of their technical expertise. Thinkific also offers features such as membership plans, payment integrations, and student progress tracking.
What is Turnitin? Plagiarism Detector Software
Turnitin, on the other hand, is a web-based plagiarism detection service that allows educators and students to check the originality of written work. It compares submitted papers against a database of web pages, academic journals, and other student papers to identify potential plagiarism.
In addition, Turnitin also provides feedback tools that allow users to review and improve their written work, such as grammar and writing style suggestions. Turnitin is used in schools, universities, and other educational institutions to promote academic integrity and prevent plagiarism.
Integration For A Better Learning Experience
Combine Turnitin’s one-of-a-kind plagiarism-checking functions with Thinkific’s stellar course management capabilities. You can get a more competent and accurate learning experience for both yourself and the students subscribed to your courses.
By integrating Turnitin’s essential services with the Thinkific platform, creators like you will have direct access to plagiarism checking, which they can utilize whenever they review assignments and homework submitted by their students.
Thanks to Turnitin’s plagiarism detection capabilities, educators can ensure that their students’ works are original and held to academic-level standards. As a result, this integration can foster more engagement within online courses, enhancing the student’s learning experience.
How To Integrate Your Thinkific Account with Turnitin
Now that we understand how both platforms work, let’s take you through a comprehensive review of how to integrate Turnitin’s tools into your Thinkific account. We have discovered that there are plenty of ways to do that: one involves sending a request to the platform’s team of experts, one involves using API tools, and one does not necessarily require integrating.
Going through this in-depth tutorial, you must already have both an active Thinkific subscription – it doesn’t matter which plan – and an active Turnitin administrator/instructor account.
1) Submitting A Request Online to Thinkific
There are a few important things that you should consider when trying to connect the Turnitin platform to your Thinkific subscription. Currently, Thinkific does not have a built-in integration with Turnitin through the Thinkific App Store, where most third-party apps and services are usually ready for use. Additionally, you won’t be able to find Turnitin within either Zapier or Appy Pie Connect, despite Thinkific’s suggestion when it comes to integrating with third-party apps that are not associated with the platform.
Considering these, you may assume that it would be virtually impossible to incorporate Turnitin into the LMS platform due to a lack of resources. However, there is always a way, but it will require custom integration and development. As suggested by Thinkific, one possible alternative option is to request feedback from the Thinkific customer service team. The team responds to complex account management issues, some of which may be beyond the user’s control. And these complex issues may particularly include integrating with any third-party app outside the Thinkific App Store.
In cases like this, once the customer service team receives your feedback regarding the unavailability of integrations with Turnitin, they will usually respond by manually solving the issue themselves. The team may need you to follow up with basic and technical information on Turnitin, including an API tool.
To submit a request to have Turnitin successfully integrated with your Thinkific account, you will need to follow these steps:
- Log in to your Thinkific account, then navigate from your admin dashboard to the Thinkific Help Center.
- From there, scroll down until you find the “Contact Support” link under “Connect with Us.”
- Once you click on that link, it will take you to a new page with the heading “Submit a request” in full view. Choose “I have feedback” under “Please choose your issue below.”
- Then, fill out the rest of the corresponding form provided with your contact information and a brief description of your request for integration with Turnitin. Type in your requirements and other relevant information in the description field below.
- Click the “Submit” button to send your request to the customer support team.
- Wait for the customer support team to contact you to confirm the receipt of the request and provide further instructions on how to proceed with the integration. They’ll ask you to follow the team’s instructions to complete the integration process.
Alternatively, you can go to the Thinkific chatbot within your dashboard and ask the customer support team the same way. However, between the two options, you may receive better help if you submit a ticket, as the chatbot may sometimes provide a different depth of support than you may expect.
2) Creating a Custom API Scope and Key In Turnitin For Integrating with Thinkific
While the previous way to getting your Thinkific account to integrate with Turnitin sees you submitting a ticket through Thinkific customer service, this method involves manually integrating the two platforms using a custom API scope and key that you can create in Turnitin.
Generating an API scope will require more technical expertise, so this can be tricky. But once you have the API key, you can use it to connect Thinkific to Turnitin and enable a handful of tools the plagiarism-checking service provides.
To integrate the two platforms using API, you will need to do the following steps:
- To obtain the API key from Turnitin, you must first log into your Turnitin admin dashboard and select the “Integrations” tab.
- Select “Generate API Scope” to set up a new integration.
- Name your new integration anything as long as it’s labeled with “Thinkific.”
- Click on “Next,” name your API key the same way, and click on “Create and View.”
- Once you see a window pop up with the API key, you’ll know it is successfully created. Take note here that your Turnitin API key is also the secret key. You’ll only see it once, so you must copy it first and paste it into a secure location for safekeeping.
- With your Turnitin API key now secured and copied, you can go to your Thinkific dashboard to finalize your integration.
At this point, you will need to build a new, private, and one-off app based on the Turnitin platform. But, to complete the integration process this way, you must have a Thinkific Partner account and some much-needed web development expertise. If not, you can assign help from an experienced web developer you know who can use their skills to connect both Turnitin and Thinkific successfully.
3) Allow Direct Submissions from Turnitin Within Your Thinkific Course
A third way to integrate Thinkific with Turnitin is to have students submit their work directly to Turnitin using the direct submission link provided within your Thinkific course. Out of all the three methods we have shown you so far, this is the quickest and most direct method to check for plagiarism.
Instead of waiting for long periods to have Turnitin integrated for you, you can provide students with a link to the Turnitin Direct Submission page as soon as they go through your course material.
To achieve this process, you must take note of the following steps you will need to take:
- Log in to your Turnitin admin account first. From the sidebar of the dashboard, select “Settings.”
- Once there, hover over to the “Direct Submission” section, then choose “Allow direct submissions.”
- Log in to your Turnitin instructor account this time and find the “My Files” tab from the sidebar. To create a new folder, select “Add Folder.”
- With your new folder now listed in the “My Files” list, select it, then click on “Edit.” Alternatively, you can pick from an existing folder and do the same.
- You can change the folder name if you like. Then, you must toggle “On” just beside the “Allow student submission link” text to enable direct submissions.
- Below are settings for the “Link Expiry Date,” where you can set up how long the link will be active. You will also find the newly-generated link in the “Share this Link” field – copy that link!
- Click “Save” to activate the Turnitin direct submission link. If you fail to do so, your students will not be able to submit their work successfully.
- Now, go over to your Thinkific admin account. Click on “New Course” from the dashboard to create or choose from your existing course content.
- Select any existing chapters in the course builder section or create a new one if you prefer. Then, within the chosen chapter, click “Add lesson” and select “Multimedia” as the lesson type or template.
- From there, it’s up to you whether you want to name your lesson however you like. In the Content section below, choose “Use externally hosted content.” This option will be automatically selected by default; otherwise, click on it. The field for the link will appear just beneath it, so paste the link to Turnitin’s direct submission page where students can submit their works.
- Once you’re okay with everything, click “Save,” and your link will be ready for use.
In case something goes wrong with the multimedia lesson, and it appears to have certain problems, you may want to try this alternative instead:
- Click on “Add lesson,” then, instead of “Multimedia,” choose “Text” as the lesson type or template.
- From here on out, it’s up to you whatever you want to name your lesson. Beneath the title field, you’ll find the content section to add, edit, and format your text content.
- You can paste the link to Turnitin’s direct submission page within the content field. You can also hyperlink some parts of your text with the same link to increase engagement among your students.
- Once everything’s set, click “Save.” Your students will immediately notice your link as they explore the rest of your course material.
Putting a direct submission link to Turnitin within your lessons is the quickest shortcut you can easily take. Unlike the rest of the methods we have just covered, you won’t need to rely on Thinkific’s customer service crew, wait for a long period, or worry about navigating through the complex integration method using API and coding.
Thinkific Turnitin Integration: A Summary
Despite a few setbacks, integrating Thinkific with Turnitin can significantly improve the educational experience you provide your students with. It may be impossible to seamlessly connect both platforms, especially with the absence of Turnitin in the Thinkific App Store. Still, just as we’ve shown you, there will always be a way to make it happen.
Each of these three methods has advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to consider which works best for your needs. If you’re going to set the integration traditionally, you may need some assistance. If you’re going to take the shortcut, take note that you may encounter some issues. We have already provided you with a few tips in case this happens.
In conclusion, by taking advantage of the Thinkific-Turnitin integration, you’ll ensure students submit original work and promote academic integrity.
How easy is it to integrate Thinkific and Turnitin?
The ease of integration depends on the method you have chosen. Submitting a request to Thinkific’s customer service crew is the most straightforward way to set up the integration. Manual integration with Thinkific using a secret Turnitin API key requires more technical expertise. Sending submissions directly to Turnitin using a shareable link is a quicker shortcut.
Are there any alternatives to Turnitin for Thinkific?
There are other platforms you can integrate with Thinkific that include plagiarism checking. Some of the best alternatives to Turnitin include Grammarly, SEMRush, or any free plagiarism checker you can search for online. However, these apps mentioned are not included in the Thinkific App Store.
How will I know if my Thinkific account is already integrated with Turnitin?
You can check if your Thinkific account is integrated with Turnitin by going to the app section of the dashboard. You can also check the status of the connection in the same section.
Is there a cost associated with connecting the Turnitin platform to Thinkific?
Yes, there will be a cost associated with Turnitin, and you will need to pay for it. The price can be fully customizable, depending on the educational institution or business you are working in.