Are you a course creator looking for ways to make your online courses more engaging and interactive? If so, you’ll be happy to know that Thinkific, a popular online course platform, allows you to easily incorporate PDF files into your courses. But what are PDF files, and why are they useful for online courses?
PDF files are digital documents that can be easily shared and viewed on any device. They’re perfect for delivering course content that involves long-form text, images, or graphics.
And the best part is that Thinkific makes it easy to upload and integrate your PDF files into your courses. In this article, we’ll explain how you can use PDF files in Thinkific to create more engaging and effective online courses.
How to Incorporate PDF Files in Thinkific Courses
In this section, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on creating and uploading a PDF file to your course and tips on using multimedia elements like videos and quizzes alongside your PDF files to create engaging learning experiences.
We’ll also explain how to use fillable PDF forms within Thinkific, allowing your students to complete and submit assignments and quizzes within the platform.
Creating and Uploading a PDF File as a Course Lesson
- In your Thinkific dashboard, navigate to Manage Learning Products > Courses > your chosen course > the Course Builder.
- From the curriculum section in the Course Builder, select the chapter where you want to add the PDF.
- Click on the “Add Lesson” button on the left side and select PDF as the lesson type.
- Edit the lesson title as desired. Thinkific will prompt you to upload your PDF file from your computer or cloud drive.
- Click “Save” to upload the file to your course.
Making PDF Files Downloadable in Thinkific Courses
In addition to adding PDFs to your lessons, Thinkific also allows you to easily add download links to your PDF files, allowing students to download and save them for future reference.
- In your Thinkific dashboard, navigate to the lesson or module where you want to add the download through Manage Learning Products > Courses > your chosen course > the Course Builder.
- Select the chapter from the curriculum section in the Course Builder where you want to add the downloadable PDF.
- Click on the “Add Lesson” button on the left side and select Download as the lesson type.
- Enter the lesson title for the download as desired. Thinkific will then prompt you to upload the PDF file you want your students to download from your computer or cloud drive.
- Click “Save” to add the download to your lesson or module.
Alternatively, you can make the PDF file in your PDF-type lesson downloadable by checking blue on the “Make this PDF content downloadable” box.
Using Fillable PDF Forms
Thinkific allows you to use fillable PDF forms in your courses, allowing students to complete and submit assignments and quizzes within the platform. You can use a tool like Adobe Acrobat or Google Forms to create a fillable PDF form.
You can then upload the form into a lesson in Thinkific either as a Download or as a Multimedia-type lesson. You can set it up to automatically submit to your preferred email address or integrate with third-party tools like Zapier.
Best Practices for Incorporating PDF Files in Thinkific Courses
Designing visually appealing and engaging PDF files
- When creating your PDF files, remember that they should be visually appealing and engaging for your students.
- Use a consistent design and layout throughout your PDF files, and include plenty of white space and visuals to break up the text.
- Use headings, subheadings, and bullet points to organize information and make it easy to scan.
- Use colors and fonts that match your course branding and design, and consider adding your course logo or other branding elements.
Optimizing PDF files for online delivery
- To ensure that your PDF files load quickly and are easily accessible for your students, optimize them for online delivery.
- Keep file sizes as small as possible by compressing images and reducing unnecessary elements.
- Use a resolution of 72 dpi for screen viewing, as higher resolutions can result in large file sizes and slow loading times.
- Use standard fonts to avoid potential issues with font compatibility on different devices.
Using PDF files effectively in conjunction with other course materials:
- To create a cohesive learning experience for your students, use PDF files and other course materials.
- Use PDF files to provide additional context and examples for concepts covered in your videos, quizzes, and other course materials.
- Use PDF files to provide study guides, checklists, and other supplementary materials that students can use to reinforce their learning.
- Use PDF files to provide feedback and assessments, such as rubrics or grading criteria, that students can refer to throughout the course.
By following these best practices, you can ensure that your PDF files are visually appealing and engaging, optimized for online delivery, and used effectively in conjunction with other course materials.
In conclusion, incorporating PDF files into your online courses with Thinkific can greatly enhance the learning experience for your students. By using visually appealing and engaging PDF files, optimizing them for online delivery, and using them with other course materials, you can create a cohesive and engaging learning experience that helps your students achieve their learning objectives.
PDF files provide a flexible and versatile format that you can use to provide additional context and examples for your course material, provide supplementary materials, and offer assessments and feedback to your students. With Thinkific, it’s easy to incorporate PDF files into your courses, and the platform offers a range of tools and features that allow you to create engaging and effective online courses.
We hope this article has provided valuable insights into effectively incorporating PDF files into your Thinkific courses. By following the best practices we’ve outlined, you can create engaging and effective courses that help your students achieve their learning goals.