As the popularity of remote education continues to soar, it’s becoming increasingly important for students to actively engage in their courses to ensure maximum learning and retention. Fortunately, platforms like Thinkific are designed to facilitate this process through innovative features such as On-Lesson Discussions.
This comprehensive guide will explore the benefits of using On-Lesson Discussions in your Thinkific course and provide practical tips on navigating and participating effectively. Whether new to online learning or a seasoned pro, this article is your ultimate resource for maximizing your online learning experience.
Understanding On-Lesson Discussions
Online learning often feels isolating, so Thinkific’s On-Lesson Discussions feature is valuable.
On-Lesson Discussions is a virtual space within a Thinkific course where students can interact with each other and the instructor, ask questions, and share insights in real time. Think of it as a virtual classroom where everyone can collaborate and learn!
The benefits of using On-Lesson Discussions are numerous. It creates a sense of community and fosters a supportive learning environment. It also allows students to ask questions, seek clarification, and get feedback from their peers and the instructor.
On-Lesson Discussions also provide a platform for students to share their perspectives and knowledge, which enhances the overall learning experience for everyone involved.
In short, On-Lesson Discussions are invaluable for deepening your understanding of course material and connecting with classmates.
Enabling On-Lesson Discussions
To use On-Lesson Discussions in your Thinkific course, you must first enable them. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
- From your Admin Dashboard, select “Manage Learning Products” > “Courses” > The course to which you want to add a discussion to.
- From the course curriculum tab, choose the lesson you want to enable discussions from the left-hand menu.
- Check the box that says, “Enable discussions for this lesson.” This action will immediately turn on the option for students to discuss within the lesson. If you want to extend the discussions throughout the course, select the link “Apply to all lessons in this course.”
- You may click on “Save Changes” to save the changes you made. However, you don’t need to since it is automatic.
It’s important to note that enabling discussions is entirely optional. If you don’t want to use On-Lesson Discussions in your course, you can simply leave the feature disabled. However, we highly recommend enabling discussions to maximize your online learning experience!
Accessing On-Lesson Discussions
Accessing On-Lesson Discussions in Thinkific is simple. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting your students started:
- Log in to your Thinkific account and navigate to your course.
- Click on the lesson where you have enabled the On-Lesson Discussions feature.
- Click the “Discussion” button to open the On-Lesson Discussions window that will pop up on the right.
- Click on the “Create New Post” button to join the conversation.
Once your students have accessed the On-Lesson Discussions, they’ll find various useful features and tools. They can respond to each other’s comments, ask questions, share resources, and collaborate on projects. They can also use formatting options like bolding and italicizing to make your comments more readable.
Additionally, you can receive notifications when new comments are posted, so you never miss a beat. You can also respond to their posts to stay connected! With these features and tools, On-Lesson Discussions in Thinkific create an engaging and collaborative learning experience.
Participating in On-Lesson Discussions
Participating in On-Lesson Discussions is a great way to engage with fellow students and deepen your understanding of the course material. Here are some tips and tricks to help you participate effectively:
Be respectful: Remember to respect your fellow students and the instructor. Avoid using derogatory language or engaging in personal attacks.
Be proactive: Don’t hesitate to ask questions or start a discussion yourself. Your classmates and instructor will appreciate your initiative.
Be specific: When asking a question or commenting on someone else’s post, be as specific as possible for a more productive discussion.
Be concise: While providing context and detail is important, keep your comments concise. This will help keep the conversation flowing.
Be engaged: Check in regularly and respond to your classmates’ comments. Doing so will help create a community and foster an active learning environment.
It’s also important to note that the instructor is key in facilitating On-Lesson Discussions. The instructor should monitor the discussions regularly, respond to questions, and provide feedback where necessary. By doing so, the instructor can help guide the discussion and ensure everyone stays on track.
Ultimately, On-Lesson Discussions’ success depends on the students and the instructor working together to create a dynamic and engaging learning experience.
Best Practices for On-Lesson Discussions
To make the most of your On-Lesson Discussions experience, following some best practices for communicating respectfully and professionally is important. Some examples of good practices include:
- Starting a new discussion thread when you have a question or comment that is not directly related to an existing discussion thread
- Using quotes and references when responding to someone else’s comment to provide context and clarity
- Encouraging other students to participate by asking questions or providing feedback on their work
- Providing specific examples or citing sources to support your arguments or ideas
In conclusion, On-Lesson Discussions in Thinkific offer a great way for students to engage with their peers and instructors, deepen their understanding of course material, and ultimately get more out of their online learning experience. By following the step-by-step instructions outlined in this guide, you should now better understand how to access, enable, and participate in On-Lesson Discussions within your Thinkific courses.
Remember the best practices we discussed for communicating respectfully and professionally and actively participating in discussions to maximize your learning experience. By taking advantage of this powerful feature, you can connect with other students, share ideas, and collaborate with others to enhance your online learning journey.
So, what are you waiting for? Start exploring On-Lesson Discussions today and take your online learning to the next level!