As online education continues to grow in popularity, more and more instructors are turning to platforms like Thinkific to create and sell their courses. Thinkific is an all-in-one platform allowing instructors to design, market, and sell courses online.
One question often arises among Thinkific users is whether having more than one instructor working on the same course is possible. In this article, we’ll explore the ins and outs of multiple instructor courses in Thinkific, including the benefits, drawbacks, and best practices for collaboration.
Whether you’re a solo instructor looking to expand your team or a group of educators looking to create a course together, this guide will help you make the most of your collaborative efforts and take your online courses to the next level.
Can You Have Multiple Instructors Per Course in Thinkific?
Yes, Thinkific allows you to have multiple instructors per course. You can add multiple instructors to a course and assign different roles to them, such as lead instructor or assistant instructor.
However, it’s important to consider the logistics and communication needed when managing multiple instructors for a course. It’s better to define clear roles and responsibilities for each instructor to avoid confusion and ensure a cohesive teaching approach. Also, it’s important to establish clear communication channels to avoid overlap or miscommunication between instructors.
Furthermore, having multiple instructors may not be necessary or ideal for every course. It depends on the course content and goals, as well as the expertise and availability of potential instructors.
User Roles in Thinkific and How to Add Multiple Instructors in One Course
Before adding multiple instructors, it’s important to understand the different roles and permissions available in Thinkific. There are three levels of instructor roles: Site Owner, Site Admin, and Course Admin.
The Site Owner is the main administrator and has access to all features and functionality available on the account. They are the only ones who can transfer account ownership if needed. There is only one Site Owner per Thinkific account.
A Site Admin has the same permissions as a Site Owner, except they cannot transfer account ownership or set up payment integration. This role is ideal for team members who need access to all features but cannot make major account-level changes.
Finally, a Course Admin can only create new courses and instructors, edit existing courses to which they are assigned as Course Admin and view student progress for courses they are assigned as Course Admin.
How to Add Multiple Course Admins to a Course
Adding multiple Course Admins to a course is a straightforward process. To get started, ensure that you are logged in as a Site Admin or Site Owner. From there, follow these steps:
- Click “Support Your Students” in the left-hand menu and select “Users.”
- To create a new user account, click “Create User.” To edit an existing user, click on their name.
- Select the “Course Admin” checkbox in the user’s details tab.
- Click “Save” to save the changes.
- Next, click on the Course Admin’s name to access their profile settings.
- Select the “Course Admin” tab.
- From the “Make [User name] an admin for” dropdown menu, select the course you want to add them to.
- Click “Submit” to make the user a Course Admin for the course.
- You can access the “Users” page anytime to add or revoke course access.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Having Multiple Course Admins
Having multiple Course Admins on a single course can have benefits and drawbacks. On the positive side, it allows for more collaboration and sharing of responsibilities. With more than one instructor, the course can be broken down into sections, and each instructor can focus on their area of expertise. This can result in a more well-rounded course and a better student learning experience.
However, having clear communication and coordination between multiple instructors is important. Without a clear plan, there is a risk of inconsistency in teaching style, course content, and grading. Additionally, adding more instructors can also complicate the process of managing and organizing the course.
Overall, the decision to have multiple Course Admins on a course depends on the specific needs and goals of the course. If collaboration is a priority and a clear plan is in place, it can greatly enhance the course.
Best Practices for Using Multiple Instructors in Thinkific
Using multiple course admins in Thinkific can effectively maximize collaboration and ensure a high-quality learning experience for students. However, it’s important to have a plan for coordinating with other instructors, dividing up teaching responsibilities, and maintaining consistency across the course.
Tips for Coordinating with Other Course Admins
- Establish clear communication channels for sharing updates, questions, and feedback. This can include regular meetings, email or messaging threads, and shared project management tools.
- Define roles and responsibilities to avoid overlap or confusion. For example, one instructor may be responsible for creating and delivering video lessons, while another leads group discussions and provides feedback on assignments.
- Set expectations for response times and availability so everyone is on the same page about when and how to communicate.
Suggestions for Dividing up Teaching Responsibilities
- Consider each instructor’s strengths and expertise, and assign tasks accordingly. For example, if one instructor has extensive industry experience, they may be best suited to teach a module on practical applications.
- Identify areas where collaboration can enhance the learning experience. For example, two instructors could co-teach a live workshop or lead a joint Q&A session.
- Have a plan for handling disagreements or conflicts so you can address them quickly and professionally.
Strategies for Maintaining Consistency Across the Course
- Develop a shared style guide or course outline to ensure consistency in tone, structure, and content across all modules.
- Agree on grading standards and feedback protocols so students receive consistent and fair evaluations.
- Use a shared calendar or project management tool to keep track of deadlines, assignments, and other course activities.
By following these best practices, you can make the most of multiple course admins in Thinkific, providing students with a diverse and engaging learning experience while maintaining high standards for quality and consistency.
Real-world Examples of Courses with Multiple Instructors
When using multiple instructors in a course, looking at real-world examples to see how it can work in practice can be helpful. Here are some case studies and analyses of courses with multiple instructors in Thinkific:
Case Studies of Successful Courses with Multiple Instructors
- A course on entrepreneurship that featured multiple successful business owners as instructors, each providing unique perspectives and insights based on their experiences.
- A coding course that included multiple instructors with different specialties, allowing students a more comprehensive learning experience.
Impact of Multiple Instructors/Course Admins
Studies have shown that courses with multiple instructors can enhance student engagement and learning outcomes.
In a study of an online physics course, students who taught multiple instructors outperformed those who a single instructor taught. This reasoning may be because multiple instructors can offer a more diverse range of perspectives and teaching styles.
Multiple Instructors on the Same Course in Thinkific: Conclusion
Having multiple instructors in a course can effectively maximize collaboration, engagement, and learning outcomes. Using Thinkific’s Course Admin feature, instructors can easily add admins to their courses, allowing multiple instructors to simultaneously work on the same course.
Some best practices for using multiple course admins include coordinating with other instructors, dividing teaching responsibilities, and maintaining consistency across the course. Additionally, real-world examples show that courses with multiple instructors can increase engagement and improve learning outcomes.
Ultimately, whether or not having multiple course admins in Thinkific is a good idea will depend on the specific course and instructors involved. However, many benefits will be gained for those considering working with others on their courses.
If you’re an instructor considering working with others on your course, we encourage you to explore collaboration possibilities in Thinkific. By leveraging the Course Admin feature and following best practices for collaboration, you can create a more dynamic and effective learning experience for your students.